Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday Share-Happy Birthday Dad and Baked Lemonade Porkchops


Happy Sunday All!

Today is a special day--it's my Dad, Dave's birthday.  My Dad is one of my favorite people.  He is the most patient, kind, and loving man I know.  He has always enjoyed and made time for my sister and me.  He taught me how to fish, everything I know about cars, tried to teach me to drive a stick, my love for history (especially MN history), and so many more things.  It has been really fun for me to watch him be a Grandpa to my boys.  He is a WONDERFUL Grandpa.  Cheers to you Dad!  I thought you may want to see a few pictures of the birthday boy, so here are a few of my favorites from the last year or so.  You can see the kind of person he is, I think, from these pictures.  The best!  So, my Sunday Share is some favorite pictures of my dad, and, if you scroll down, a recipe for Baked Lemonade Porkchops we tried last weekend.






You may be saying "Baked Lemonade Porkchops" Amy....I don't know about that.  I said the same thing when my husband proposed we give them a try.  However, I became a believer.  They were SO tender and delicious.  They even got 2 thumbs up from the boys.  We are looking forward to it being grilling weather here (if we can ever get rid of the snow) so we can try marinating the pork chops and putting them on the grill.  This one came from Reno on Diners Drive Ins and Dives.  Thanks Guy for finding it!  I hope you enjoy them as much as my family did.  Tune in tomorrow for a Clean and Simple Challenge Card that I am also entering in the Stampin' Up Color Challenge.  I've linked them so you can check them out, too.  Thanks for stopping in-the recipe is below!

Picture of Baked Lemonade Pork Chops Recipe

Ingredients
Sauce:
5 cups lemonade (reconstituted, not concentrate) If you make your own fresh lemonade, by all means use it!
1 1/2 cups tomato ketchup
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup (1/4 pound) brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons each granulated garlic, onion powder, ground ginger
2 tablespoons each paprika, chili powder
2 tablespoons each fresh finely chopped thyme leaves, oregano leaves, sweet basil leaves, if using dried herbs use 2 teaspoons of each


Pork chops:
8 (6 to 8-ounce) center cut pork chops (trimmed somewhat lean to avoid excess grease in baking pan)
All-purpose flour lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, (enough to coat chops)
Directions
In a large bowl or pitcher mix all of the sauce ingredients together. Set aside
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Pork chops:
Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat and add enough cooking oil to coat the bottom. Dredge the pork chops in the seasoned flour and brown for approximately 2 minutes per side in the skillet. Transfer the chops to a baking pan. Fan the chops so that each chop is exposed as much as possible.
Pour the sauce over the chops and cover the baking pan with heavy aluminum foil.
Bake until the chops are tender about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Transfer the chops to a serving platter and serve.

Helpful Tips:

For less clean up; Use a resealable plastic bag to coat the chops with flour, but don't shake off too much excess, as the flour will aid in the "glazing" of the chops while they bake.

Use a large enough baking pan to allow for the chops to be exposed as much as possible; while still small enough for the sauce to mostly cover the chops.

If sauce seems very thin towards the end of baking, remove the foil to help reduce the liquid and reach the desired consistency of the sauce. It won't be real thick but should have some "cling" to the chops.

Good served with either mashed potatoes or rice, depending on preference.




1 comment:

  1. Terrific tribute to Dad! Who would have known all the wonders to come when we went on our first date 40 years ago today! The pork chop recipe looks fabulous ~ we'll try them this week. Awesome job, Amy! I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete