Wednesday, May 1, 2013

52 Lists-Week 16 Favorite Books, Stories and Poems



Hey Readers!

It's no secret, I love to read.  Not only do I love to read, I love to talk about what I'm reading and share books I love with ANYone who wants to read them.  I have been a reader since I learned how in Kindergarten.  It's something I have instilled in both of my kids, and I love watching them become excited about books.  I have 4 different book boards on Pinterest: Books I've Read in 2013, Books I Want to Read, Books I Want Alex to Read, and Books I Want to Read to Jack

Some of my favorites are reflected in the books I've put on the boards for my children. As a child I loved The Boxcar Children, The Laura Ingalls Wilder books, The Phantom Tollbooth, Charlotte's Web, the entire Roald Dahl collection.  These are all books that have stuck with me well in to adulthood and got me curious about things bigger than the life around me.

As I got in to upper elementary school I read books like The House With a Clock in Its Walls, The Westing Game, The View From the Cherry Tree, and the Nancy Drew series and I learned that I liked mysteries and figuring things out.  I read Bridge to Terabithia, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry and I learned that life is at times unfair, unjust, and sad.

The book in I read in high school that had the biggest impact on me was Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  I couldn't fathom a world where books and knowledge weren't valued and were sought out and burned.  Even if you are not a fan of the science fiction genre (not my favorite either) I would encourage you to give it a read.

When I got to college I majored in Elementary Education but always took an English class of some sort.  I loved reading and discussing things or writing and discussing things.  In one of my El Ed English classes our assignment was to pick a book out of the Scholastic book orders and design a lesson plan around the book. Of course, my group didn't pick something like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie--they picked Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  We did a lesson plan on Quidditch.  I was unhappy with the choice because I was not going to get caught up in the Harry Potter craze.  Boy was I glad I was forced to crack open that first novel.  I loved Harry, Hermione, and Ron and am so thankful I took the ride with them through the end.  In fact, Alex and I are on book 5 in that series right now and it's just as fun the second time through.

As an adult I like to read all things.  I like historical fiction and Southern gothic styles.  I like fiction of almost all kinds.  I like biographies, memoirs, and non-fiction.  I still love a good mystery. I love magazines. I am always looking for new books and new authors to try, and new friends to add to our book club.  I'd love if you'd share some favorites with me!

Thanks for stopping in!  I'll be back some time tomorrow with a card.

No comments:

Post a Comment